Saturday, June 26, 2010

What can I use for my baby's chapped lips?

My baby is one week old and her lips have been very dry for a couple of days. I'm afraid to use chapstick because she is so small and will probably get some in her mouth. I've searched online and haven't found anything about babies lip balm or chap stick. I think I'm going to ask her doctor tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone could help.What can I use for my baby's chapped lips?
I wouldn't use anything. Babies' skin is waking up, and some flaking and peeling is normal. Wait and it should resolve itself.What can I use for my baby's chapped lips?
Try Vaseline. It sound like your baby may be dehydrated. Is she peeing a lot, is her tongue wet? If not you need to get her to the doctor immediately, babies with dehydration don't do well. I am talking from experience. My daughter got diarrhea at 11 months and within 12 hours she was extremely dehydrated. The ER staff told us that if we had waited another 2 hours to bring her in she would have died from the dehydration.





I don't want to scare you but you should probably get her in, especially since she is only a week old.
vaseline.
dry lips on an infant is a sign they are not getting enough to eat go to the emergency room now or call your pediatrician because it is really not good for your baby to be dehydrated.and never put anything on your babies lips that isn't safe to eat so using olive oil or avocado oil would be ok other than that nothing





Tara
Lansinoh, you use it when you have cracked nipples... it is SAFE if baby gets it in mouth.


Are they dry or is it more of a ';nursing blister';? My son (6 weeks) had ';dry'; lips w/ a nursing blister for the first 2 weeks...


If her diaper is wet every 2-3 hours, and she is having a ';poop stain'; after every feeding, sje is hydrated. If you can't tell that she is wet, put a tissue in her diaper....


Congratulations!! Welcome to Worried Parent 101! It never ends, trust me! There is always something to worry about!!
Vaseline work good and is safe if you use small amount.1-2 times a day.
yep i used vaseline as my babies lip got so dry it split. worked really well and it wont harm her if it gets in her mouth. good luck
Try Vaseline
My son's lips were really chapped when he was that age - the nurses at the hospital said regular chapstick would be fine (that's all I had). We didn't have to use it much. Just put a little on your (clean) finger and apply it to her lips.
Vaseline has been recommended by Doctors for uses like this for quite a few years.
When my baby was a newborn he also had chapped lips. The doctor said it was normal and it would go away. It's often due to breasfeeding on his new sensitive lips. He'll adjust and it should clear up in a week or two.
Use A%26amp;D ointment or vaseline. Is she getting enough liquids? Don't forget to give your baby water. Although they do get some from breastmilk of formula, it's always a good idea to have a bottle of water to give your baby from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
parasites